Challenge Accepted: Teaching 6 year-olds to Read in the Late 1990s















Challenge Accepted: Teaching 6 year-

olds to Read in the Late 1990s 


Banilad Elementary School, 1997


For the past many years in my teaching

career, the task has always been an 

enjoyable one for me. Although it seems 

insurmountable at first, an innate desire for

students to learn has always surpassed 

obstacles. However, there was a time this

was put to the test, leaving me doubtful

whether to end a fulfilling career or 

dive right into some drastic but 

necessary changes in the educational 

system.


This was when I was assigned to teach 

Grade 1. I thought it was the most 

challenging ever. From being an 

intermediate grades teacher to teaching

six year-olds to read - what will I do?

Nevertheless, challenge accepted.


In 1995, school age was lowered by

one year when Kindergarten started 

accepting five year-olds, then Grade 1 

at six y.o. I knew from the start it 

would be a tremendous 

task to make these children read, but I 

know, too, that once learned (reading), 

their succeeding years in school (and

possibly in life) would be easier. Reading

is a life skill. It is basic and has to be 

learned most importantly in Grade1. 

Formal School Education is anchored

on it. I know I will be writing on a 

blank slate, as I said back then, and 

what I write there will greatly affect 

the child's performance in school, 

and out.


So I began with experimenting 

techniques at first. Those that I found

not effective were discarded and those 

that were, were improved. It was 

backbreaking work to make flashcards, 

charts, picture cards,etc. I taught CVC

patterns, and mastery of the Initial,

Medial, and Final Sounds. Compiled

practice exercises, monitored progress

(frustrating because it was mostly at

a snail's pace), talked to parents. All 

done. Attended seminars and 

workshops that helped teachers like me 

teach beginning reading to very small

kids still coping with separation anxiety

and prefer sleep and play rather than 

listening to teacher. 


In terms of teaching techniques, of 

course, there were many failures 

and very few successes during those

early years. But it is also true that

as time passes by and 

experience grows, each teacher is

able to develop her technique, her own 

unique way of making her pupils read. 

It was never easy, but it can be done.

There were times you break down 

due to frustration, but happy 

moments when you hear them read

well on their own. You spend long 

hours teaching your  pupils  to read 

even to the point of being left behind 

when all your co-teachers have already 

gone home. Noontime break was 

devoted to individual coaching of the

slow ones. But these hardwork occurs

only in the first five months at the

beginning of the schoolyear. By late

October, you rest easy.

The real work was over. They can now 

read on their own. Only then do I smile 

more often and yes...oh,yes, go home 

together with my colleagues.💗 





👍  Just recently, a pupil from those early 

years, through the mother, informed me, 

Justine now works at a bank. 

One of the many, hopefully

...with God's awesome grace.



EAB/






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sample Piece: Sabayang Pagbigkas (Choral Recitation) with actions, voicing guide

Critical Thinking: Tips to Develop Skill in Schoolkids - Fun exercises, games with Answer Keys, on analogies, word relationships, abstract reasoning, with maze, puzzles, brain teasers

Sample Project Proposal 4: Construction of the Languages Park of __________________